Let them go ...

I've lost a few people in my life not just because of death, but as a result of friendships ending. It's been hard for me to accept and one of the questions that I've asked myself is "What did I do wrong?" After a while the Holy Spirit reminded me of a particular story in Genesis 13. This is the story of Abram and his nephew Lot. 

File:Nicolaes Moeyaert - Abraham and Lot Divide the Land.jpg

The Hoogsteder exhibition of Dutch landscapes, by Paul Huys Janssen, Peter C. Sutton, Hoogsteder & Hoogsteder, 1991

It was in Genesis 13 that Lot and Abram's herdmen started to fight. This fight was not between the two masters, but their servants. Abram then made a suggestion to solve the problem that they were faced with. "And Abram said unto Lot, let there be no strife, I pray thee, between me and thee, and between my herdmen and thy herdmen; for we be brethren. Is not the whole land before thee? separate thyself, I pray thee, from me: if thou wilt take the left hand, then I will go to the right; or if thou depart to the right hand, then I will go to the left" -Genesis 13:8-9. 

"And Abram said unto Lot, let there be no strife, I pray thee, between me and thee, and between my herdmen and thy herdmen; for we be brethren. Is not the whole land before thee? separate thyself, I pray thee, from me: if thou wilt take the left hand, then I will go to the right; or if thou depart to the right hand, then I will go to the left " -Genesis 13:8-9 (KJV)

Abram's suggestion was quite simple - it meant separation. He wanted Lot to choose where he would stay with all his possessions in order to avoid any quarrels between them. Now, what's the point that I'm trying to make here? Sometimes the people that you thought were going to stay in your life forever are the ones that end up leaving.


Here are a few points that I've learned:

  • Abram and Lot were related, so they probably didn't think that they were ever going to be separated from one another.
  • Abram and Lot did not fight with each other, but they still went their separate ways.
  • The two men's separation didn't mean that they hated one another, so just because someone left doesn't mean that you should hate them 😉
  • If a person wants to leave your life because you've hurt them, then ask for forgiveness and try to reconcile with them. There are however times when we end up blaming ourselves for people leaving even though we've done nothing wrong. Don't blame yourself, it was their time to leave. 

The separation was necessary in order for both of them to live peacefully and to fulfil their destinies. Don't hold onto people when its time for them to go, let them go...

-K 💕




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What do you do when you're discouraged?

'Money makes the world go around'

Do you truly love Him?